Professional Liability Insurance Committee (PLIC)
The PLIC is a standing committee of Professional Surveyors Canada representing the interests of surveyors across Canada. The members of the committee are licensed surveyors from different parts of the country. They include: Committee Chair: Dave Gurnsey, SLS, CLS, P.Surv. Western Canada: Mitch Ettinger, ALS and Michael Kidston, BCLS, CLS Eastern Canada: Derik R. DeWolfe, NSLS and Derek French, PEILS, CLS, P.Eng., MCIP PSC Director Liaison: Darren Patkau, SLS, CLS PSC Secretary: Michelle Zuk, MBA Please click here for the full contact information of the PLIC. The Committee meets in person twice a year and provides a number of unique services including:
- Advocating on behalf of all surveyors across Canada.
- Working with the Broker (Gallagher) and the insurer (Victor – formally called ENCON) to ensure the program is competitively priced, has broad land surveyor specific insurance coverage, and provides superior claims service to the members.
- Reviewing the Professional Surveyors Canada Professional Liability Insurance Program’s rates and performance.
- Providing an insurance option for all Canadian surveyors, regardless of their claims history.
- Responding in strict confidence to all concerns or complaints from insured surveyors.
- Advising the insurance professionals about survey law and standards of practice.
- Collecting program statistics for continuing education and negotiating policy renewals.
- Overseeing the Risk Management Fund.
- Maintaining a comprehensive committee web section available to all surveyors.